Monday, July 22, 2013

Why Christmas In July?

Have you ever truly wondered...why Christmas in July?

The earliest known occasion to make the phrase 'Christmas in July' literal was in July 1933 at Camp Keystone, a girl's summer camp in North Carolina, which celebrated with a Christmas tree, gifts, and a visit from Santa Claus!

In the southern hemisphere, winter falls in July. Therefore in countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, in order to have Christmas with a winter feel, Christmas in July events are held. 
In the northern hemisphere, some people throw parties during July that mimic Christmas celebrations, bringing the atmosphere of Christmas but with warmer temperatures. 

In some western countries, July has a limited number of marketing opportunities. In the United States and Canada, there are no national holidays between the first week of July and Labor Day, leaving two months with no holidays. Therefore, to justify sales, shops will sometimes announce a Christmas in July sale! 


My mother always started her Christmas shopping in July but never really said why or if she did, I forgot (no surprise!)....now I know...she was a smart and savvy shopper! 

So, on that note... I don't start my Christmas shopping in July but I have actually started making my Christmas cards and tags earlier this year since I now have more time to hang out in my little crafty space! Does that count??!! 



INGREDIENTS
The Paper Studio, Old World Winter ~ patterned cardstock
Fiskars ~ border punch, circle punch
Snowmen, sentiment, ribbon and button from my long lost stash!



Happy Crafting!
TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this card! Maybe I'll receive it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting a little greedy sister....You want a card AND the recipe organizer I am making for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Cindy's Paper Creation Popular Posts That Might Interest You